Manager of Solutions Architecture
Reference Code: 5425
Manager of Solutions Architecture
Elk Grove, IL
This position is part of the Electronic Motion & Controls Division which provides technologies that create and control motion to customers across a wide range of applications and industries. This exciting opportunity allows you to become part of a team that aligns products and worldwide engineering and manufacturing capabilities to build our presence in a growing electrification space. This group brings together decades of controls and electronics design and manufacturing expertise with significant growth opportunities presented by our mobile electrification and industrial efforts.
This position will be part of the Connected Products Center of Excellence working closely with the Internet of Things (IoT) team. They will be responsible to lead, manage, and provide technical direction to an engineering team to develop connected and smart products in both mobile and industrial environments. The role will work with cross functional teams across Motion Systems Group to determine requirements and implement them to enable products to be managed on the edge and remotely by Parker’s Internet of Things cloud solution based on Azure and by 3rd party management portals.
1. Define technical plans and monitor effort and costs, schedule and technical performance for a major product development and/or core engineering project or multiple projects. The project will be to work cross functionally to get the company components able to communicate with the companies IoT for Mobile and/or Industrial and to 3rd Party management portals. This role will be deeply involved in documenting standards and requirements for companies mobile and industrial products to communicate with management portals. This role will also manage a team to document the standards and implement them in collaboration with the component teams.
2. Makes decisions on technical priorities or design alternatives for projects within the team’s scope. Acts as the primary technical contact on team or project performance and as an advisor to engineering or business unit leadership. Represents the organization as the technical liaison in providing solutions to customer problems.
3. Build and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external customers and assure customer needs are identified and addressed.
4. Implement and maintain consistent engineering practices, standards, and documentation procedures and reporting systems (e.g. implement Winovation; structured product development processes and gate reviews; engineering change flow down; knowledge databases). Takes appropriate steps to protect and safeguard Parker intellectual property.
5. Develop and analyze the operating budget; projects and plans for future needs (e.g. workforce planning; introduction of new technologies). Monitor and manage conformance to contractual, schedule and cost performance elements. Provide cost input for business proposals.
6. Manage technical project execution within budget and schedule constraints using project management processes and tools.
7. Compile engineering cost and schedule data and identify opportunities for process improvements to reduce cost and/or schedule to improve engineering productivity. Provide feedback to the team on performance to engineering cost targets.
8. Works with business development and program management to identify new business opportunities, present Parker product capabilities, and clarify customers’ technical requirements.
9. Identify and create technical training and development plans. Mentor or serve as a resource to share specialized knowledge with others. Maintain leadership and technical capabilities through continued education or training.
10. Team Management – develop and manage a high performance Solution Architect team; hire, on-board and train Solution Architects; assignment and tracking workloads and priorities including managing scorecard metrics to monitor the teams.
· Bachelor's degree (BS) in engineering, computer science, data science or a science technical discipline. Master's degree (MS or MBA) preferred.
– Experienced in developing connected products and implementing data solutions which interface to management systems on the edge or in the cloud, and which solve customer problems, improve efficiency, save time and/or money.
-Familiar with J1939 CAN bus protocols in Mobile networks.
-Familiar with Industry 4.0 principles as well as one or more Industrial protocols: Profinet, EtherCAT, Ethernet, I/O link is highly desired.
-Familiar with IoT cloud technologies and protocols including Azure, MQTT and OPCUA
· Demonstrated ability to perform the essential functions of the job typically acquired through 7-9 years of related experience. Prior management/supervisory or project engineering responsibility of 2-3 years preferred.
· Has thorough knowledge of the technical engineering discipline or domain, and products or systems. Understands project management principles, Agile methodology, engineering documentation requirements, and engineering analysis tools.
· Ability to apply knowledge of documenting standards and requirements across multiple product teams for consistent connected product design, the product development cycle, and understanding of cost and time estimation process, Experience with program and design reviews and/or other customer requirements and industry practices.
· Ability to foster teamwork and inclusion with diverse groups of employees. Ability to guide and develop the team by providing challenging assignments and through effective coaching, feedback, recognition, and skill assessment and training.
· Thorough knowledge of industry and regulatory standards, policies, and compliance requirements.
· Ability to effectively communicate and present status, actions, recommendations, and other technical information with clarity and precision. Maintains open communication within the team and other business areas. Ability to respond to significant inquiries from customers, regulatory agencies, or marketing/sales teams.