The Operations Manager is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating production operations (stamping, assembly, and paint). Responsible for ensuring and improving productivity, efficiency, and profitability of production operations, the Operations Manager leads the development and implementation of production methods and strategies. This candidate will ensure proper staffing, training, tools, and production plans are achieved, ensuring that goods are produced safely, efficiently, on time, within budget, and to standard.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, organize, direct, control, and evaluate the operations of production related activities;
- Develop and implement a proactive approach to ensure maximum OEE and FTT;
- Coordinate, manage, and monitor the workings of the various production areas;
- Lead the development of work instructions, process training, and supervision of daily operations;
- In coordination with maintenance management, assist with scheduling of all production equipment maintenance activities based upon customer delivery requirements and production schedules;
- Identify, develop, and implement strategies to meet and exceed production targets;
- Lead daily production meetings to communicate goals and provide feedback on overall team performance;
- Recommend and implement initiatives for continuous improvement utilizing a data driven approach;
- Maintain and update Business Operating System reporting requirements;
- Establish and monitor departmental KPI’s and customer satisfaction metrics to drive operational effectiveness;
- Assist with root cause analysis initiatives, and implementation of production related corrective actions;
- Lead and support the attainment of site budgets and objectives relating to Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Cost;
- Identify, develop, and deliver relevant manufacturing-related training;
- Provide overall team development strategies through training, coaching, mentoring, counseling, and performance measurement;
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and Health, Safety, and Environmental regulatory requirements;
- Ensure safe work practices are being followed by all team members;
- Assist with Layered Process Audits, as well as internal and external certification audits (IATF, TS, and ISO);
- Coach, inspire, and manage departmental talent, ensuring proper staffing levels, and compliance with HR policies and procedures;
- Build and enhance relationships with internal teams and vendors, facilitating effective business partnerships and issue resolution.
- Perform additional tasks as deemed necessary and appropriate.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in Operations Management, Engineering, or other closely related field preferred; or minimum of eight (8) years of operations experience supporting an OEM supplier related manufacturing facility may be considered in lieu of degree;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in manufacturing operations suppling automotive OEM industry;
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in metal stamping, robotic welding, and E-Coat paint strongly preferred.
- Minimum of four (4) years of management or supervisory experience required;
- Demonstrated experience managing production team members including initial hiring, skills assessment, performance management, career development, mentoring and coaching.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Comprehensive understanding of MRP and scheduling concepts, SAP experience preferred;
- Understanding of financial and operational reporting metrics;
- Demonstrated high level of interpersonal skills to effectively lead, motivate, and facilitate in group settings;
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written); employing active listening techniques
- High level of analytical ability, applying sound technical knowledge to assist with development and implementation of corrective actions;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment;
- Excellent computer skills with strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
- Comfortable managing multiple tasks and competing priorities;
- Team oriented and familiar with Lean Manufacturing principles;
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to handle, manipulate, or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms, climb stairs, talk and hear
- Employee must occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.