Senior Manufacturing Engineer 4A (GPPI Compartment Manufacturing Engineer)
Reference Code: 4442
Title: Senior Manufacturing Engineer 4A (GPPI Compartment Manufacturing Engineer)
Location: Warren, MI 48093
Duration: 42 Weeks, 5 Days with the possibility of extension
Responsible for ensuring new vehicle product designs are manufacturable as well as in compliance to manufacturing requirements and General Assembly strategies. Provides a consistent voice of Manufacturing to Product Engineering for a given global architecture/style.
- Understand product design and communicate manufacturing requirements to product engineering.
- Communicate product info & requirements to Arch Leads and Program Execution
- Enforce compliance to General Assembly Strategies
- Execute & Verify Manufacturing Requirements
- Follow the Advanced Program Health Check (APHC) process for issue tracking and escalation
- Resolve issues with Product Engineering and Global Manufacturing Engineering
- Escalate deviations at Leadership Calls
- Conduct virtual studies/assessments throughout Vehicle Development Process
- Initiate / Conduct program Level 2 PFMEA workshops
- Participate in product peer reviews (ePeer Process)
- Document process & tooling requirements for regional execution and ensure compliance by all executing assembly plants
- Drive product designs with the lowest Base Engineered Content (BEC) and participate in BEC reduction workshops
- Communicate Lessons Learned to Global Technical Integration Engineers (TIEs)
- Develop & communicate program compartment level 2 build sequence
- Identify and communicate potential ergo issues to program ergonomist
- Attend IVER builds (mandatory) and Assembly Plant builds (as required)
- Act as IRT co-chair during IVER builds at PPO
- Act as the Global IRT co-chair and drive common solutions across the regions
- Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or any field. Engineering is preferred but any is fine as long as they have a Bachelor's Degree.
- Required Skills, Abilities and Experiences:
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to make complex concepts/issues easily understood by non-proficient English speaking peers
- Strong VIS Mockup skills
- ME Experience (Program Execution or Assembly Plant)
- Knowledge of VS Manufacturing Engineering processes and Automotive Systems, including MPS, VAA, MRDB, E2, Auros, FIT, GLP, VDP, PRTS, and LMS.
The team this individual would be starting with is the Chassis Manufacturing engineer team.
This individual would be assigned to a specific program and the program could be conducted in various styles. This individual's main role would be attending meetings and being the voice of manufacturing engineering . Their role is to understand this team's requirements and to work with the product and program teams to ensure that these requests can come to fruition. The selected candidate would be making sure the product designers are going to be able to design parts that can be built in the plants that are designed in different programs .
The selected candidate must have Automotive or Manufacturing experience/background. Whether from a supplier or within any manufacturing environment would be extremely helpful. The main must have is a Bachelor's Degree in any field of study and that this candidate MUST understand what it takes to get a product out the door.
Design for six sigma, red X training.
Manager would highly prefer to have candidates that have 3 years of experience. However, is open to a more entry level candidate if they have a high level of understanding of manufacturing environments and processes.
1. What are the top 3 Skill Sets this candidate must have?
Computer skills, manufacturing experience, critical thinking
2. What type of personality performs best within your team, given the overall environment, and workplace dynamic (energetic, heads down, process driven, etc)?
A personality that is outgoing, independent, friendly and a team player. Quiet, closed off or introverts are not a fit in this role.
3. What are you looking for in a person/candidate as you begin your search?
Personality has a lot to do with my criteria for a good candidate. I would prefer someone who is positive attitude and the willingness to learn than someone who is set in their ways. I can teach someone anything but can’t teach personality or attitude.
4. Have you filled this position in the past?
Yes, I have hired within. The candidate I selected was a person that I thought would fit in with the others on our team and was not afraid to speak up or was timid and unsure. This role requires a person to be able to speak up and be sure of themselves when others might be giving them a hard time. The skills are probably ok at this time.
Work Site Description:
Global technical center office environment: interfacing between product engineers and general assembly execution teams
Preferred Work Schedule:
M-F, 7am-4:30p, flexible.
Depending on the program they are on they may be supporting a global program. There may be calls at 6 AM or 6-8 PM. If candidate's have an early call they may get to leave early or vise versa. The manager expects that all candidates get their work done in a timely manner but does allow candidate's to have a flexible schedule.