AUTOMATION CONTROLS LEAD
As a member of the Engineering team, the Engineer will be responsible for all plant equipment controls engineering & improvement functions and overall plant operational support.
Your work will include, but not be limited to:
- Develops implementation strategies for modifications to plant layout (AutoCAD) and production processes.
- Modifies programming for PLCs (typically Allen Bradley), HMIs, robots, vision inspection cameras, electric torque tools and plant automation as needed – often with and while directing Maintenance team.
- Troubleshoots problems with processes and hardware
- Coordinates with others in order to troubleshoot problems and implement solutions
- Provides technical assistance as needed
- Develops, and supervises all aspects of electrical control systems for plant equipment
- Responsible for installation and technical support of PLC based hardware and software
- Analyze plant processes, design, and implement improvements
- Maintain quality and safety standards
- Develops implementation strategies for modifications to plant layout and production processes
- Designs and/or specifies work fixtures and modifies as required by production
- Research and purchases tools and equipment as required
- Manages projects including installation and modifications of tools and equipment by contractors and internal Maintenance team
- Analyzes ergonomic concerns and implements solutions
- Manages facility alterations and improvements
- Instructs maintenance on modifications or repairs to production equipment
- Supervises Skilled Trades for projects and to cover Supervisor absences
- Ensures compliance with the following legislation: OHSA, CSA, ESA, PHSR, WSIB, Human Rights, Employment Standards, and Labor Relations
- Works safely, reporting hazards and unsafe conditions, and takes all reasonable measures to protect themselves, co-workers, and direct reports
- Uses and or wears personal protective equipment that the company requires to be used or worn
- Performs any other duties as required in pursuance to the function of this position or as directed
- Post-Secondary Education or Experiential Equivalency
- High School diploma is required
- Degree/Diploma in related Engineering/Automation discipline
- 3 years’ experience in a Controls Engineering position within the Manufacturing and/or Automotive Industry
- Understanding of JIT (just in time) manufacturing
- Strong understanding of industrial automation and safety requirements
- Lean Manufacturing
- Strong skills in ladder logic, preferably Allen-Bradley Systems; PLC5, SLC and ControLogix 5000-5580.
- Strong Skills in HMI Design, Preferably FactoryTalk View and Ignition; WonderWare. LabVIEW